When to use BuildMS binaries

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I didn't find a note about when to use the binaries in the BuildMS folder: is it the same both on 32 and 64 bit versions of windows ? Thanks

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

All the binaries are 32 bit binaries, since GeoMedia is still a 32 bit application, thus it cannot load 64 bit libraries. We prefer using binaries from the root zip folder since they are compiled with an open source compiler (MinGW 32) and they do not require 3rd party components. However, on some machines, especially on Windows Vista and Windows 7, the MinGW 32 compiled library does not load properly, and this is the case for using the binaries from BuildMS folder. They are compiled with MS C++ 2010.

hth, Pavel

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Hi, I tried out PostGIS GDO 1.2.0.1 on Windows7 64bit but didn't get it to work. Is that due to what you stated in June and in the release note about the current version? Is there a workaround and/or do you plan a MS VC++ build for the current version? Please forgive me, if this is a stupid question, I'm not familiar with software design. Stefan

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Hi Stefan,

I hoped that the binaries from latest version of MinGW should fix the problem with the dll registration. That was the reason I didn't  created the MS build with the latest release. It is not clear from your post what is the problem. Can you give me some error message? Anyway, I have created a new build which includes MS VS build again.

Pavel

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Pavel,

seems like I made a mistake in the first place or something went wrong which I can't reproduce.

When selecting create new Postgis Connection in GM the mask popping up was for the input of an Oracle connection string, but by now, everything seems to work fine.

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your quick reaction.

Stefan