PostGIS dataserver is not showing danish characters of attribute values in Geomedia

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I downloaded the most recent version 1.1.0.1 of the postgis dataserver in anticipation that the new version might solve an issue we've had, concerning showing feature attribute values with danish characters “ÆØÅ” in the attribute window, when selecting a feature in Geomedia Professional 6.1.9.11.

Our postgis database has been created using the UTF8 encoding.

In the view pg_settings the following is set :

• Default_text_search_config                pg_catalog.danish
  •  Lc_collate, lc_type, lc_messages,        Danish
  •  Lc_monetary, lc_numeric, lc_time,      Danish

We have an older postgis database that is being fased out. This was created using LATIN1 encoding and lc_collate and lc_type was set to “Danish_Denmark.1252”. This configuration worked fine with Geomedia 6.1.

For some reason, I can’t remember why, we’re forced to use UTF8 encoding. Am I on the right track here or are there any other postgis server setup variables, I should be aware of?

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2012 at 12:23 PM

UTF8 encoding should be able to handle any character, including Chinese etc. I have tested PostGIS GDO with strange Czech characters and even with Cyrillic, and everything works fine. So I wonder why the danish characters would not work. First of all, GeoMedia main windows is not a UNICODE window, so make sure that your language is set as "Language for non-UNICODE programs" in Windows regional settings. Also I am going to post a new release soon, so perhaps it will also fix some problems related to server and client encoding.

Pavel